Spanish version


Museum of Costume


EntranceIn 1925 the Exhibition of Regional Costume was held in the Palacio de Bibliotecas y Museos de Madrid. 348 costumes, nearly 4000 garments and textile items, photographs and watercolours were shown. It was the starting point for the idea of creating a permanent Museum of Costume. Dress designed by Mariano Fortuny


Between 1927 and 1934 the museum changed its site several times until it was absorbed into the Museo del Pueblo Español. This museum wanted to show the Spanish traditions and customs. The museum did not have much success and was closed due to several problems.


In 1987 it was installed in the building of the Museum of Contemporary Spanish Art. Conservation and cataloguing of the items took place. In 1993 the Museum, together with the National Ethnology Museum, was made part of the National Museum of Anthropology. But in 2004 the Museum of Costume- Ethnological Heritage Research Center was created.


Originally the building housing the museum was built for the Spanish Museum of Contemporary Art. Its architects wereFountain Jaime Lopez de Asiain and Angel Diaz Dominguez and it was built between 1971 and 1973. The project received the National Prize for Architecture in 1969.


The permanent collection is frequently updated as the clothes cannot be shown too long due to their fragility. This is why it is difficult to find pieces dated before the XVIII century. The exhibition is divided into several sections dedicated to different times. We can even see some clothes from the XVI and XVII century and follow up the history of clothes until today. There is also a section dedicated to traditional clothes and to different world famous Spanish designers like Balenciaga, Pertegaz or Pedro Rodriguez.


A very interesting section is the one dedicated to Mariano Fortuny (1871-1949), who designed a series of dresses which could be worn today, as they have not lost their modern look.Iron Meninas


Outside the museum we can see a beautiful open space, with a wonderful fountain and the images of the painting "Las Meninas" by Velazquez made in iron.


In its garden we also find "El Bokado", the museum´s restaurant, which offers a mixture of traditional and modern Basque cuisine.


The museum is located in the area of the Complutense University in Avenida de Juan de Herrera, 2.



@Copyright 2008, 2009 Mª Dolores Diehl Busch. All rights reserved.
Sponsored by Keydomo S.L.