Royal Botanic GardenFernando VI established that the first Royal Botanic Garden was to be set up near Puerta de Hierro, next to River Manzanares. It had over 2000 different plants collected by Jose Quer during his many trips all over Spain and also due to plants he received from other European botanists.
In the XVIII century, Carlos III placed the Botanic Garden in Paseo del Prado, where it is now. It was designed by Sabatini and Villanueva. The plants were ordered following the Linnaeus method. Since the very beginning Botanic courses were held at the Garden and several expeditions to America and the Pacific were promoted.
During the War of Independence the Garden was almost destroyed, but in 1857, Mariano de la Paz, its director made many improvements as the greenhouse and the new design of the upper terrace. In 1882 part of the Garden is occupied by the building of the Ministry of Agriculture and in 1886 a terrible cyclone knocked down over 500 trees.
Since 1939 the Botanic Garden depends from the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas and in 1942 it was declared Artistic Garden.
From 1974 to 1981 it was closed to the public due to the restauration work which recovered its original style.
The Garden is divided into three sections. The first one is called the Square terrace and is mainlydedicated to ornamental plants and medicinal herbs.
The second section is the Botanic School terrace. There are twelve little fountains around which the plant collection is located.
The third section is the Flower Plan Terrace. Here are many different kinds of trees and bushes.
The last acquisition has been a Wollemia tree, which is located on the right area of the third section.
In front of the main entrance is a statue of the painter Murillo.
@Copyright 2008, 2009 Mª Dolores Diehl Busch. All rights reserved.