San Gines Church
This church is located at calle del Arenal and it seems that originally there was a hermitage. As a parrish it is known since XIVth century, although only the tower is left from the first building.
In the XVIIth century Pedro Texeira made a map of Madrid and we can see what the church liked like in those times.
It burnt down and was rebuilt. It was demolished and rebuilt again.
Today, the main entrance is built on top of the old cemetery.
As we can read Quevedo was baptized and Lope de Vega got married in this church.
In the times of the Muslim domination, the christians lived in this area of Madrid. It is believed that Saint Isidro came to this church to pray.
The church has several chapels with images of the XIXth century.
In one of them there is an alligator under the altar, although it cannot be seen nowadays. It was donated in 1496 when a nobleman was nearly devoured by one and saved thanks to the Virgen de los Remedios. The chapel is dedicated to this virgen and also called the 'Alligator Chapel'.
One of the chapels is dedicated to Saint Jerome. The head of the saint was made by Villabrille y Ron in the XVIIIth century.
There is also a painting by El Greco in the church, but unfortunately it can only be seen on Saturdays from 12:30 to 13:00.
In general it is difficult to visit the church, as it is very often closed.
@Copyright 2008, 2009 Mª Dolores Diehl Busch. All rights reserved.