Spanish version


Santiago and San Juan Church

Santiago and San Juan Church is located at the square with the same name, very near to the Royal Palace.
In the XII century there already was a church dedicated to Santiago. It was one of the first six churches of Madrid. It was enlarged in the XIVth and XVIth century and finally demolished by Jose Bonaparte in order to modernize the city. There was another church dedicated to San Juan Bautista at Plaza de Ramales, which was also demolished, so that the new church built in the square was dedicated to both saints.

The new church was finished in 1814 by the architect Juan Antonio Cuervo. He was painted by Goya holding the plans for the church in his hands.

@Copyright 2008, 2009 Mª Dolores Diehl Busch. All rights reserved.
Sponsored by Keydomo S.L.