Spanish version


Thyssen-Bornemisza

The Thyssen Bornemisza Museum is located in the Villahermosa Palace, at the Paseo del Prado, 8.
It is almost in front of the Prado Museum, on the other side of the Avenue. The Palace was built in 1800 by Antonio Lopez de Aguado, a follower of Villanueva´s architecture, for the Duke of Villahermosa.
When the Duke of Angouleme came to Madrid with Saint Louis´hundred thousand sons he lived in this palace.Baron Thyssen-Bornemisza
During the XX century it was an office building until the Spanish Government bought it to house exhibitions of the Pardo Museum.
In 1992 the architect Rafael Moneo finished the enlargement to house the Thyssen-Bornemisza collection, which was finally bought by the Spanish State in 1993. It is the most important private collection of paintings in the world.
Carmen Thyssen-BornemiszaWhile the Prado covers painting until Goya, the Thyssen offers us paintings from the German Renaissance, the Impressionism, Expressionism and even Popart. So both are complementary offering a broad range of art.

This collection is manly the result of Baron Hans Heinrich Thyssen-Bornemisza´s effort. His father started the collection in the 1920´s focused mainly on ancient art. After his death the paintings were distributed among his heirs. His son bought them again and also continued buying ancient paintings. From 1960 he began to collect modern art. First those paintings of the German Expressionist period and then touching all movements until the American paintings of the XIX and XX century.

After the Baron´s death it is now his widow, Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza, who continues her husband´s passion by having her own collection.

@Copyright 2008, 2009 Mª Dolores Diehl Busch. All rights reserved.
Sponsored by Keydomo S.L.